Friday, September 24, 2010

Bits and pieces

It’s been a pretty good week. I’m not sure exactly why (although it could have something to do with a double scoop ice cream cone Wednesday), but I looked up and it was Friday, and I realized I had enjoyed the week. That’s always a blessing, right? I’ve rotated to pharmacy in the clinic for the next couple weeks (although still stepping in to triage or give a shot if they need an extra pair of hands), and it’s a little like stepping back to square one. I’ve never really worked in a pharmacy before, so instead of being helpful right now I’m back to the learning stage – and I’ll say props to all the doctors and pharmacists out there because to me it’s still pretty intimidating looking at the shelves and shelves of medicines and wondering how anyone can remember where they all go and what they do. But again…poco a poco. And it’s a little easier now, because I know Nila and she’s very patient and helpful teaching me. I think I also realize I have to be patient and let myself learn…I suppose that’s a good lesson to remember, huh?

Last week, for some reason, was a little more difficult. Not really in a conscious way or even in a way I could put my finger on, but I guess you go through your ups and downs. I’ve been here two months now (how about that?!) and I guess, whether I’m aware of it or not, I’m hitting the first hump of “I’m in a new culture, a new job, a new environment. And it’s here to stay.” Plus, I think last week my brain and heart got hit with a lot of questions, frustrations, and realities that have been gathering in light of the poverty and disparity I see on a daily basis, and I’m beginning to try to process them. (Emphasis on “beginning” and “trying to” :) ). Not an easy task, but an important one, I think. But you know what? In spite of all that, I am extremely blessed, and there’s nowhere I’d rather be.

Last week there was also a group here from Georgia. It was a small team, but they brought a doctor and a pharmacist, and their presence allowed us to do a couple of campañas – where we set up in more impoverished areas with less access and offer free consults and medicines. One day we went to Los Pinos (near Wichanzao) and another we drove to Magdalena de Cao, a quiet town about an hour away. It was nice to get a little change in scenery and responsibility and to get my first glimpse at how the campañas work.

In other news, yesterday was the first day of spring here. (Happy Spring!) The occasion provided an acceptable excuse for a rather lively party at the institute next door (although catchy to listen to, the music delayed sleep for awhile), and apparently there will be a parade Sunday afternoon, so it’s fun to see those celebrations. And you’ll never guess – last week, not one, but two mornings we awoke to actual sunshine streaming in through the windows. Sunshine in the morning…would you believe it? Novel concept. But I think as spring continues to blossom, we’ll get more than just our few hours of afternoon winter sunshine. Ojalá… And I have to say I’m looking forward to it. Bring on the sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate hearing about your learning, growing, stretching experiences, Lydia. Enjoy a blessed spring in the Southern Hemisphere! We love and pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete