Thursday, December 16, 2010

Surprises

There have been a few of those this week. Here's a recap.

Monday: After a long, kind of rough day, I was slightly grumpy and my dear friends were kind enough to be patient through this spell. Probably it helped that they knew they were giving me a surprise birthday party that night. A bunch of people came to the office after SALI and surprised me with bocaditos, singing Feliz CumpleaƱos, and a delicious chocolate-cherry cake (including the Peruvian tradition of pushing it in your face as you lean down to take the celebratory first bite). It helps when your suprise birthday party is more than a week in advance of your actual birthday. But I wasn't going to be in Trujillo for my birthday, so they wanted to recognize it. I have some great friends.

Tuesday: We had an Amigo Secreto (Secret Santa) party among the staff at the clinic. It was a lot of fun - everyone standing up and giving clues/saying nice things about their secret friend before giving them their gift. It was Daniel's despedida, too, since he's not coming back after Christmas (per continuing dental school), so people said nice things about him too. Then I got a sweet card and a T-shirt from everyone for my birthday, which was a sweet surprise. Plus, Delvith, the lady who sells papas rellenas and tamales outside the clinic everyday, had made me a purse! Very sweet. It's red, which is fun, and quite appropriate for the season.

Wednesday: Instead of having class, I met my basic English class to go eat since it was the last day. Before heading out, I asked Flor exactly the time of my flight from Trujillo to Lima the next day. I thought it was around 10 pm. Turns out it was at 6:25. Good thing I asked.

Thursday: I went with don Jose, one of the clinic's patients, to the hospital to get the pathology results from a biopsy they took Monday at the Ear/Nose/Throat consultorio at the hospital. He'd had a pretty nasty tumor grow in his nose within the past couple of months. Found out today it is NOT cancerous. Hooray! Thank the Lord. Then I got back in time for the chocolatada at the clinic for the patients. Lots of kids enjoying hot chocolate and paneton, the Peruvian Christmas bread. Good times.

Now I'm in the Lima airport. Long night, but it's going ok so far. I took a nap, which was helpful. I'm hoping for some sleep on the plane. It's a little strange... I'm really looking forward to spending Christmas with my family in Tupelo, but I don't want to leave Trujillo. I guess that's a good thing, huh? It'll be a great couple of weeks. There's a lot that doesn't feel like Christmas when it's not cold, no fires, no Christmas tree (although it makes me happy when I see them). I'm looking forward to Christmas music, lights, family, friends, warm clothes, and good food. And heading back to Trujillo in 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. The 3-year olds missions class I teach at church did a unit on Peru recently and they recommended a chocolatada as a snack! We did a variation involving chocolate milk and cinnamon raisin bread...lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete