Thursday, July 21, 2011

Impact

Wow, I don’t really know where to start. The Starbucks playing music in English in the Lima airport seems a world away from Trujillo, and, thanks to some inexplicable warp in time and space, I’ll supposedly be back in the U.S. tomorrow night. Can a year really have already passed? I remember arriving so clearly… yet I feel like I’ve lived a lifetime since then.

The last few weeks have been a blur and, due to sporadic internet access and general busyness, I haven’t done a good job of keeping you all up to date. So thanks for your patience… Medically-related, the mission is in the middle of short-term team season, which means there have been several groups come down to do medical campaigns. We had a group of dental students and, a couple of weeks later, a few doctors and a physical therapist doing campaigns in Wichanzao and the surrounding communities. Dr. Glover, a general surgeon from Jackson, MS, was in Trujillo for a week doing minor surgeries in a room in the Wichanzao church. He had actually stayed an extra week after spending a week with his church in Cajamarca. I got to go help translate with that group and, with about 6 doctors, 4 dentists, and lots of helpers, we attended about 1300 patients in a week. Pretty crazy, but a cool experience.




Sometimes I wonder how much short-term trips actually impact a community. Of course, they are much more effective when a long-term option providing follow-up care is available, and maybe a lot of the relief is only temporary for many of the patients. Yet, honestly, it’s at least some relief, and it’s more than many of the patients who travel a few hours from remote towns would be able to access otherwise. Maybe it’s enough to give them a little more strength, a little more hope. And maybe it just helps to have a professional actually listen, care, pray, and try his or her best to help.

I’ve been thankful I stayed and have been able to help with these campaigns and with the day-to-day rhythm of the clinic, which has been consistently busy lately. Aside from work, I enjoyed spending about 8 days living with my friend Karina and her family. They don’t live in Wichanzao itself, but they are in La Esperanza (the same general area of Trujillo), and it was great to get to live a little closer to the clinic, be in a family environment, and spend more time getting to know them. And then this past week has been rich with investing in people and making sure I do my best to “say my goodbyes well,” as someone counseled me. Good advice. Thankful for chances to spend time with people, and for the blessing of having so many people who’ve touched my heart.



The clinic’s despedida (goodbye party) was so much fun and, although hard to say goodbye, it made me appreciate again what a unique feel of family the group has. It’s difficult, sad, and definitely surreal saying goodbye, and I’m sure it won’t really hit until I’m back… and even then, little by little. (Be prepared for periodic reflections and realizations.) However, I don’t feel like I’ll never see these people again. They’re a part of me, and God has taught me so much through them. And, Lord-willing, I’ll get to see them again. As my mom wrote me before I came to Peru, “See all you can, make lots of memories, and leave part of yourself there.”

Check – more than I could have hoped. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment