Saturday, October 22, 2011

In defense of playgrounds

Several weeks ago after church I made my way to a park a few blocks down and set up shop at a picnic table under a pavilion. If I had to study for these tests, by golly I wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather.

However, I ended up studying the people about as much as my notes. As parks will do, this particular picnic table was positioned next to a playground. Now I have many a fond memory of playgrounds, be it at Pierce Street Elementary School, Ballard Park, Joyner School, or down the street from my grandparents' house in Vicksburg. But now, regrettably being several years past prime playground age (and size - have you tried the monkeybars recently?!), I looked at this phenomenon with new eyes and a new appreciation.

In the space of about two hours that Sunday, I saw several families come and go. I saw four ethnicities and heard three languages. Each family had a different family structure. I wondered at their stories. Granted, this playground was uniquely placed near several neighborhoods that allow for this kind of diversity and variety of clientele. I know not every playground has such a priveleged opportunity.

What what a cool one it is. Think about it. A playground. A simple, natural place for kids to do all sorts of things that are important. Play. Be active. Run around. Be creative. Encounter other kids in their area. Perhaps kids who are quite different from them. And what if... they start playing together? What if the playground becomes more important than the differences? And they learn this without thinking from an early age? What if they have a safe, pretty, encouraging place to get outside, be active, and have this encounter? Not to mention the effects on the parents and caretakers that bring them...

So I have decided - perhaps again - that I am a proponent of playgrounds. Be on the lookout for a more timely next post on the defense of pumpkins. Because, especially as I missed October last year, I am remembering that fall is AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment