Sunday, August 29, 2010

Friendship

Time is funny…days are long, but the weeks are really starting to fly. In some ways, it seems like I’ve been in Trujillo for much longer than I have, and in others it’s hard to believe it has already been over a month. But there is a little bit of a rhythm now, to my work in the clinic and at SALI – and at the same time, a big part of life’s rhythm right now is that there is none at all. :)

Last Sunday was Rachel and Patrick’s birthday. Rachel wanted to have some people over to celebrate, so we invited some of our Peruvian friends and told them to spread the word for those who were interested. We ended up having a pretty big crowd show up, with an interesting mixture of people from SALI (language school), SUSA (Friday night young adult ministry), the downtown Cristo Rey church, or people who just hang around with that group. Honestly, I wasn’t sure I was up for hosting a big crowd of people at the apartment, but I ended up having a really good time, and it was fun to see Rachel enjoying herself. It’s nice to feel special, especially on your birthday.

People hung out for quite awhile munching on snacks (I think I could eat my weight in guacamole), enjoying a cheesecake made by Alleen (one of the missionaries down here in charge of the interns and also fun to hang out with), and generally enjoying one another’s company. Inevitably, after awhile someone broke out the salsa music and, since a few of the guys really know what they’re doing, space was cleared on the floor for some dancing.

One of my favorite parts, though, was a Peruvian tradition where people basically go around and say nice things about the person whose birthday is being celebrated. I suppose it can get a little cliché, but I was struck by how many people wanted to share how much Rachel already meant to them, even after just 3 weeks. No one was pretending they were already best friends, but several people genuinely encouraged her and told her how they appreciated her talents, qualities, and characteristics. I think we could all use a little dose of that, and not just on our birthdays.

Most of the people I’ve met here are all extremely warm and welcoming. It’s wonderful to have that, and I confess at times I want to rush in and be great friends with someone right away. I certainly feel like I’m making good friends with some cool people (and it’s a little easier because Heidi already has good friends from last year that she’s kind enough to share!), but I also realize that true friendships – at least for me – take time to develop. And I think that’s good, even if it does require a little more patience. I’m thankful for the new relationships I have, and I hope I can keep finding that equilibrium between genuine interest and investment in others and patience enough to allow friendship to develop naturally and deeply…and even to enjoy that process.


Verónica, Rebeca, Maresa, and Rosa singing Happy Birthday to Rachel.


Briggith, Katy, me, and Heidi one night when we had some people over for dinner.



Karina, Heidi, and Maresa when we spent a couple of hours at the beach at Huanchaco, about 20 minutes from Trujillo.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome way to celebrate a birthday! I agree that everyone needs to hear nice things about themselves (from other people) sometimes. The last night I was with my casa of 14-15 year olds we went around the circle saying something positive about each girl; it was a really nice way to close things after 2 weeks together.
    I'm so excited you're in Peru for a year because that means you'll be updating your blog that long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lydia-

    I'm reading this one out of order, but I love it. I love your description of friendship and your description of the birthday party. Makes me always want to go back and read anything I've missed on your blog!!

    Love,
    Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete