Tuesday, August 10, 2010

SALI y Sol

Happy Tuesday to you. As of tomorrow, I'll have been in Peru two weeks. I can't decide if it feels like much less than that, or infinitely longer. Both, I suppose...

I thought today I'd tell you a little about SALI (San Augustin Language Institute) and show you some pictures. SALI is where we (the fellows and a few other teachers) teach our English conversation classes. They take place at La Casa San Agustin - also known as La Casa Amarilla or simply la oficina - which is Peru Mission's primary and administrative building, located en el centro, in downtown Trujillo. See exhibit A.


I'm not sure all the history behind it, but SALI used to be a larger endeavor and a more distinct, central ministry of Peru Mission. For various reasons, about a year ago they decided to close it, but when we moved into this new building about six months ago, it was revamped to offer purely conversation classes. Between the hours of 3 and 6 each weekday, three levels of English are offered each hour. For example, this month I'm teaching the 6:00 intermediate class, but next month I could be teaching a basic level class (obviously not quite "conversational" yet) at 4:00. From what I've heard, the new structure is working really well, and it provides a relaxed environment for people learning English to simply come practice speaking - which, in my experience with Spanish, is by far the best way to improve.

The classes are free, as well, so that makes it an appealing offer for students. I think right now there are 125 students enrolled, although it's rare that everyone attends each class. Most people are balancing the classes with a job (or job search in several cases) or other studies. The majority of students are in their twenties or so, many studying at one of Trujillo's universities or finishing a master's. Although the location, content, and environment of SALI caters more to the young professional crowd, students come from all ages and walks of life. I'm really enjoying it as a way to meet people, learn about Peruvian culture and traditions, and have good conversations. The nature of the class - focusing on a particular topic or article each day - makes it easy to discuss a wide variety of topics, from food to faith to current events, common interests, or personal opinions. My students are great too - Daniel, Jose, Carina, Odana, Nestor, Miguel to name a few - and it's a lot of fun getting to listen to them practice and hear what they have to say. They aren't incredibly comfortable with English so sometimes it takes them longer to say things, but they speak pretty well, and after class we usually hang out and speak in Spanish for awhile. It's fun to see them really open up and be themselves then. They are fun and full of personality in class, but it's amazing how much more comfortable and "yourself" you feel in your own language. I hope I can get that way more and more in Spanish...although I'm not sure I'm always like that in English either. :)

So, leading English class and taking Spanish with Heidi, Patrick, and Rachel (taught by Priscilla - she's great) takes up my evenings. Some afternoons we have a meeting, and Wednesdays we eat lunch with one of the missionary families. The rest of my afternoon is spent in a somewhat sporadic combination of eating lunch, checking emails, going grocery shopping, taking laundry, doing Spanish homework, preparing for class, or most likely some other random quehacer that comes up. If I'm lucky I'll get to read or journal a little bit, but things are still so much in the settling in stage that I haven't had that luxury much. But winter in Trujillo is typically pretty gray and dreary (although not too cold - just aroun 60 all the time). However, several of the last few afternoons, the sun has come out to warm things up. Even if the temperature isn't actually so much warmer, it's amazing how much nicer the sun makes things. One of the best parts, though, is how it lights everything up. When hace sol, it's like the world wakes up. Colors on the buildings come out so much more, you can actually see some of the sandy desert mountains that surround Trujillo (albeit through the city's pollution), and honestly, I just feel happier when the sun is out.
Maybe it's not a completely fair comparison since the subjects are so different, but maybe you get the idea. The first picture is looking down Avenida EspaƱa from our apartment window. The second is a municipal building in Trujillo's central Plaza de Armas.
So I'm thankful for SALI and for sol, for learning from the good and the hard parts, and for the warmth they are both bringing me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the glimpse into your day's structure and the sights you see daily. I am sure you and Lauren could share thoughts about grey days vs sunshine (Seattle and Trujillo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures! I didn't know you would be teaching English to Spanish-speaking people. I taught English to Chinese-speaking children in Hong Kong-- but I had to have a Chinese-speaking translator with me! I did alot of smiling and pointing as well!! I remember teaching time with a big clock in front of me! You at least speak Spanish. That helps! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete