Sunday, October 24, 2010

Enjoying the joys and walking through doors

So, in my post-writing reading of this blog, I realized it’s a lot more introspective than I’d planned. Oh well…

So, a couple of happy things this week. I’ve gotten to play a couple of games of Sunday afternoon football and ultimate Frisbee after Sunday lunch with the missionary families, which was lots of fun, especially since the weather has been really nice. And last night fulbito (our Saturday night small-sided soccer game) was great, with a big group of people and several really good players. I’m still a soccer/sports-nerd at heart…just makes me happy getting out there and playing, especially now that I get to do it for fun.

Another fun thing was getting to have coffee and catch up a bit Friday with Rosa, a friend I haven’t seen in awhile. Well, that in itself was good, but the happy thing was that, about halfway through our conversation, she said, “You know, your Spanish is a lot better than it was last time I saw you.” Since I’m around my Spanish every day, I can’t really tell if I’ve improved, so it was really exciting to hear her say that it seems to have gotten better in the last 6 or 8 weeks.

Also, I’ve decided for sure that I’m staying through July next year. I was trying to figure out if I should come back at the end of May when the fellowship program officially ends or stay through the summer. After doing some thinking, praying, and talking with Dale (the clinic administrator) and Alleen (the fellowship director), it looks like it’s going to work out. I’d wanted to make sure I’d be able to stay practically, be able to be of help at the clinic and translating for short-term teams, and frankly that I’d be staying for the right reasons. But it looks like the Lord has opened up the door, and I think I’m gonna walk through it.

It’s funny – I feel like, at least for me, a lot of times the doors open slowly. The door rarely bangs open or is blown open by an explosion, leaving a hole big enough to walk through. It’s more like, little by little, the door creaks open…or after awhile, after taking some steps backwards, forwards, twisting and turning, I realize it’s open. I hope that happens with what I should do next year. I spent about three hours in front of a computer this morning beginning to look at some grad school possibilities, and it kind of fried my brain. And afterwards I didn’t feel like I’d made much project figuring out my life or future. But since when have I known what I’m going to do? There are certainly some ideas floating around, but they still seem pretty nebulous, amorphous, and idealistic. So for now, I’m just praying that God continues to do what he does – leading me step by step, opening the doors at the right pace, at the right time.

Now if my racing mind and every-so-often anxious heart would just get on board. But, at the same time, it’s nice not to have anywhere to be in any time in particular. So, I’m not in a hurry. And right now I’m in Trujillo, Peru, and hopefully, wherever I end up, I’ll really BE there in every sense of the phrase.

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to live through your experience...what a joyful taste of life lessons it is to read your musings. Proud of you walking boldly through the doors when you realize they are open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your introspection. You should lend me some.

    I'm glad you decided to stay until July, and it sounds like you did it for all the right reasons.

    And, as always, your blog sounds very you and very fun (a.k.a. very you). I miss our chats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto the liking of the introspection. I'm happy for your decision to stay longer, but you should know that it does not exempt you from a Kentucky visit ASAP. Even if you do not get a chance to come in the summer, we will look at Fall Breaks for any grad schools you may or may not go to. Taking a step at a time sounds like a good plan and I will try to do a much job praying for my dear little sister than I have as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a new yoga teacher on campus this year and she's fantastic. One day she in class she was referencing the different capabilities of people in certain poses and she encouraged us all to "be wherever you are."

    It's so simple, but also strongly impacting. Not worrying about your stance compared to someone else's, not thinking about the homework you could be doing instead. Be where you are.

    Of course, that doesn't exactly afford for application deadlines, but it sounds like you're still able to employ it :)

    ReplyDelete