Monday, November 1, 2010

Saying good-bye

Flor is one of the secretaries at la Casa Amarilla, the headquarters for SALI and the Peru Mission offices. She’s in her late 20s, one of the sweetest, gentlest, most genuine people you will ever meet, and has already become a good friend in these few short months. Her open heart touches others easily, and I hope to continue getting to know her better in my time here.

Anyway, Flor’s been in and out of work some lately because of health issues her mother has been having with her diabetes. However, none of us knew her illness and its complications had progressed to such a serious stage, and we (the interns, at least) were all shocked to receive news that she had passed away Friday morning. We were out of town at the time, and it was really hard knowing our friend was going through this tragedy – one that I can’t, and don’t want to, even begin to imagine – and not be in Trujillo to comfort her. I suppose people never really know what is best to do when a loved one dies, but you still just want to be there for those left behind.

I think Flor and her family have received visits and support from a lot of people associated with the mission, including pastors, clinic staff, the jóvenes from SUSA, and friends in general. Flor actually goes to a different church, and if she is any indication, I’m sure her mother and their family have touched many lives in their own congregation and in each of their many spheres of influence. It’s uplifting to know people like that and even harder when you see them suffering.

We got to go to the funeral service yesterday. My first Peruvian funeral. Not that I would’ve chosen it…and hopefully I won’t have the opportunity to go to any others. But I went with Heidi, Rachel, Karina, and Maresa, and we met Lennin and Elva, a couple at Cristo Rey church, there. Even just getting to give Flor a hug and quick word of cariño made it worth going. It was moving to see the crowd of people proceeding slowly down the street, following Flor, her father, and her six sisters weeping behind the beautiful white coffin held aloft and draped with flowers. Buses carried everyone to the cemetery, where there was a short service before the burial.

I guess we never really know how to react to death, how to comfort or be comforted. Even with the hope of salvation and resurrection, we’re left with memories, tears, and questions. I never even knew Flor’s mom, but she must’ve been special. I suppose it’s fitting to remember her today, on All Saints Day. I hope that the Lord comforts Flor and her family right now and that, in whatever way possible, we can be there for her as she finds which way is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment