Monday, November 8, 2010

Painting Faces

So, I think I may have mentioned this family with 8 kids who lives near the church and has come into the clinic a couple of times. For some reason this family tugs at my heart. They certainly aren’t well off materially; most of the kids – even 11-year-old Tatiana and sometimes 7-year-old Susana – work selling candy in downtown Trujillo to contribute to the family’s income. But, even though I still don’t know them well, they seem very close, and it’s amazing to watch the kids all pitch in and take care of one other. Part of me wants to do something, to help, but I think for now one of the biggest things I can do is just be there and hopefully get to know them a little more.

And the last few weeks, Tatiana and Susana have shown up during the Sunday school hour with 3-year-old twins Nelson and Janila and baby Kiara in tow. Yesterday, 12-year-old David came as well. They all look just alike – they can’t deny being siblings – and I’ve just been thankful to have the chance to spend some more time with them. They are really respectful and well-behaved, and I’m glad they can come to the church for a time to draw, play, and just be kids. I’ve gotten a chance to just hang out and color with them a couple of times, and actually do a “lesson” (of sorts) with them and the other kids a couple of times. I don’t know what the future holds for Tatiana’s family, my relationship with them, or my work with the kids in Sunday school. But I’m praying that I keep learning, and I’m thankful that God is providing this opportunity for me to get to know His children.

I think he’s answering those prayers in the clinic, too. Last week I went out a few times to touch base with a couple of patients we had not been as consistent in visiting. It’s funny – they notice. Sra. Victoria, the 80-something-year-old, needs pain management for her many aches and pains (probably arthritis and osteoporosis) and really just someone to talk with about being tired of hurting and unable to help her granddaughters (who take care of her) care for the household chores and their children. I saw her Thursday and then took Dr. Julton by Friday after he finished with his patients in the clinic. Hopefully we can see her more consistently to make sure she doesn’t hurt too much and to treat any other ailments that come up.

I also saw Fermin this week. Fermin is probably in his mid-20s, and about a year ago he suffered an accident that left him paralyzed. He’s doing some therapy, but has been very depressed, and his inability to move around has left him with some pretty nasty bed sores that won’t heal. His parents and sisters take him to rehab and try to take care of him at home, but his wounds really need to heal before the rehab, and perhaps eventually improving his mobility, can take off. So, I saw him briefly Tuesday (although he was asleep) with the psychologist who comes in once a week, and the Julton and I went back to see him later in the week. They had been paying for a doctor from the government clinic to come out and treat his wounds, but I think we’re going to take that over. It’s a commitment – needs to be done pretty much every day – but it’s something we can easily do for free, and hopefully it will help ease their expenses as well as provide a presence of emotional and spiritual support. Ideally, the message we want to be sending to the community is, “We’re here. We care. We want to help. And we’re doing it because of Christ’s love.” I hope we can keep transmitting that message, both the patients that come into the clinic and those we go to in their homes.

1 comment:

  1. With so many daily distractions, it can be hard to remember our elderly neighbors and family. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be when you're struggling for basic necessities. Good to think about.
    Always praying for you Lyds.

    ReplyDelete